Tuesday, August 18, 2009

R.I.P. Loki 1996 - 2009

I started constructing this post a few months ago when I realized this moment was imminent and approaching faster that we wanted it to. I finished the final draft a few weeks ago, and now that the time has finally come, the words I wrote don't even scratch the surface of how we really feel. Our eyes are red, puffy and burning from crying and I don't even feel like writing or interacting with anyone at all. This is one of the most traumatic things Bryan and I have ever been through, and we have no desire to go through it again. So I'll write more later about the raw emotions we're going through. For now, the old draft will have to do...


We finally had to euthanize our beloved Rottweiler, who has been on his last legs for about 5 years. He's had a hard time with arthritis, which he was on medication for, and just couldn't hardly stand up on his own anymore. This dog truly has been a part of the family and has been at my side for 13 wonderful years. A close friend gave him to me at 8 weeks old when I was a sophomore in college.

He loved playing in the ocean and digging in the sand:




He has traveled with us through 14 states and moved end-to-end across the United States twice.
He watched TV and took naps with us:



He liked to carry his favorite rocks with him to play fetch in the San Diego desert bush:

He has welcomed all three of our babies home:



He was a beautiful dog and we will miss him very, very much. We hope to spread his ashes on Galveston's West Beach where he first found his love of frolicking in the waves and chasing seagulls.

3 comments:

Keepin' it Real said...

Sorry to hear about your loss of Loki. We know the pain that comes along with that... we miss our Koda every day and think of him often. We hope you are all doing ok during this hard time... know that he is no longer suffering and you did the right thing. We love you guys.
The Stewart Family

Mother of Mayhem said...

Oh Jenny I am soooooo sorry! I know it's like you have lost your first born ~ putting Scooter down was the hardest thing I have ever had to do so I definitely feel your pain ~ they both lived very nice, well pampered lives and are up in doggie heaven reuniting as best friends again! I'm sure Scooter was at the gate waiting for him and has shown him the ropes ~ and while this doesn't make you feel any better at this point in time, he is in a better place now. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry! Like everyone else I've got my own story of the dog we loved that is gone. It's so sad, makes you scared to get another pet because you know it will come to this again. But I bet as sad as you are, those 13 years were worth it.