Sunday, July 5, 2009

Not-So-Happy 4th of July

I could tell you that we had a great holiday weekend, despite Bryan having to work the evening shift the entire time. I could tell you that the kids had a blast playing with sparklers, watching fireworks and even seeing the county fireworks display from our front yard. And that Bryan was even able to see the city fireworks show at work from the top of his ship. That is what I planned to talk about.

But our feel-good holiday spirit was crushed this morning with the sombering news that a 3-year old little boy drowned yesterday morning in the river. I found out from my Starbucks barista, who said a prayer for my family knowing that we frequented that area with our kids. She was relieved to see me this morning (meaning it wasn't our kid) and told me what she knew--and as a parent, as a mother, I was devastated to hear that a family was having to feel the horror and terrible pain of losing a young child. And that is all I can think about right now. We don't know the family--they are not local, but the terrible news still strikes home and my heart goes out to them.

Bryan and I repeatedly talk to our kids about water and pool safety. We have several neighbors with pools, which we frequent, and we routinely take the kids to the beach. I like to think that something like this would never happen to us because we watch our kids and are rarely out of arm's reach in the water. Still, the what-if's are now playing in my mind. For all of you with kids, whether they know how to swim or not, whether you have nearby pools, ponds, lakes, beaches or not, please please teach your kids water safety and don't ever let your guard down when they are playing in or near water. I know Bryan & I would never fogive ourselves if something like this happened to any of our kids.

No comments: