Sunday, November 1, 2009

I Won't Drop My Brain on the Floor

We had a great Halloween, despite three family members getting over H1N1 flu. We started off the afternoon by carving pumpkins.

Bryan's "I-Gor"--inspired by Young Frankenstein.

Mine--Jack Skellington from The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Brandon & Tyler drew theirs, and Bryan carved their drawings (as best he could). We weren't quite ready to trust them with knives & carving tools...

And Nick, who is obsessed with all things Spider.

I would also like to brag about our outdoor decorations. I worked all summer on my front flowerbed to grow the right weeds for accenting our graveyard skeletons.

I hit today's after-Halloween sales at several stores for some much larger additions to the graveyard next year.

And lastly, the candy. Every year, I tell myself I won't go overboard buying too much candy for the trick-or-treaters. But our neighborhood exploded with new houses and children this year--better to have too much candy than not enough. We left it all in a cauldron outside for whomever to grab, thinking the older kids would take most of it and then we wouldn't have to worry about leftovers. Not the case. We have most of it left...must be because of those skeletons in the garden. (right...) Anyhow, some of the candy is gummy body-parts.
There's eyeballs, ears, bloody fingers. And brains. Bryan let the kids have some after lunch today.
Brandon: "Mmmm! Brain!"

Bryan: "Don't drop your candy on the floor."

Nick: "I won't drop my brain on the floor, Daddy."

Bryan: "It will make Maggie sick." (the dog)

Nick: "Maggie can't eat my brain." "I can open my brain by myself." "Daddy, can you open my brain?"

As for our costumes--we were running late as usual last night getting out the door to start trick-or-treating. You'll have to visit here to see us!

1 comment:

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

Hope your family are over the flu. The pumpkin carving are really inventive and scary! But your skeleton garden is the weirdest thing!