Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Magician's Assistant


I'm still alive (yes, I know I say that every time I have a "long" absence compared to my much chattier blogging friends.) I am working on a new "project" that my VP and Program Director have taken on. The VP specifically chose me to be on this team because of my unique experience working with various other shipyards outside our fence, and because my particular Master's degree has educated me in the concepts they are trying to implement. I have to change the culture of a bunch of crusty, grumpy, headstrong, old-school shipyard workers who have been doing things the same way for a hundred years. Despite what some might think, I am not confrontational--really. I cannot stand getting into arguments with these guys. And it's even tougher when I'm not 100% convinced that this is the right thing to do at this particular time.
We are already a few months into the nuclear refueling and overhaul of the USS Theodore Roosevelt. The government invests millions of dollars in advance for us to plan this job because it is so complex that it takes almost 3 years to buy all the long-lead material, engineer all the details and fit everything into a schedule. And now I am heading an effort that kind of throws a lot of those detailed plans out the window. Scary.

Our government customer is somewhat patiently waiting to see some positive results. I am holding my breath and hoping for a miracle. On of the guys I'm working with is much more outgoing and direct--I am more like his sidekick. I joked the other day that I was his "magician's assistant" because I feel like we're trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat. He looked at me sideways and said, "Don't say that!"

Have you ever tried to Google "magician's assistant" in search of an image? Try it for yourself and see what you mostly get. It seems that I might actually be a bit naive about this phrase...I'll need to quit saying it at work.

No comments: