Monday, June 28, 2010

Camping Ain't What It Used To Be

Sooooo, it was a nice evening last Friday which meant only 1 thing--we'd be outside drinking and letting the kids run amuk with smores and sparklers.

Sooooo, after drinking for a few hours we realized it was getting late and the kids were up 2 hours past their bedtime. This is when Bryan got the bright idea of camping in the backyard.

I grew up camping in my backyard and was immediately onboard for this little "adventure". What we failed to realize in our drunken stupor is:

  1. It was 10:30 at night, and therefore DARK outside.

  2. Our tent is a complicated 2-room family tent.

  3. The aforementioned complicated tent was brand new--never been out of the box. Translate: we had never set it up before.

  4. We had been drinking more than we thought.

After wrestling with it for 2 hours, we finally finished and got the kids corralled into their "room".


The two older boys were great--they zonked right out. For the 3-year-old, it was party time. After he finally settled down, we realized our portion of the tent was over very lumpy ground--this is when I started to realize I'm not as young as I thought. Bryan & I tossed for the remainder of the night on our hard beds--I ended up with a big bruise on my child-rearing hips.

Needless to say, we got no sleep. When the sun came up at 5:30, our youngest woke the whole neighborhood up with "It's morning tiiiiiiime!! Wake up!!!" Ugh...

A few other things I didn't mention before--here is a picture of the tent.


Notice the orange extension cord? There is actually a special port in the tent for cords to run through. We had a fan, music, and laptop in that tent. My how times have changed...

No comments: