Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Memories and Regrets

Several weeks ago, I received a call from my Mom that my grandmother "Dorsey" wasn't doing good and probably wasn't going to make it through the rest of the week. Her health had been declining for the past 5 years, and she felt it was time to return home to God.

At that time, Bryan urged me to write her a letter with my fond memories of times together growing up. I put it off, and Dorsey miraculously bounced back and was doing absolutely great--back to her witty, feisty old self. Then I got another phone call a few weeks ago saying she had up and passed on. She never received that letter from me.

I never let her know about my fondest memories together. About how I dare not go through New Year's Day without eating black-eyed peas for good luck, lest she scold me. The fun times on the little go-kart at her house in Wildorado, and the time she took a corner too fast and dumped me out on the road. How she taught me to play Solitaire while watching The Price is Right, and the times my sister & I would fall asleep at her house waiting for Mom & Dad to come pick us up late at night to take us home.


We would have the most wonderful conversations--she had so many fun facts to share, and she knew the history of our family--I wish I had documented our family tree while she was still here with us. I wish I had called her more often just to talk. I wish I had taken the time to write and send that letter...


I know she is at peace now, but I miss her anyway.

No comments: