Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Token



Nothing like announcing "I'm baa-aack" like a good rant...

Any of you heathens watch South Park, like me? This is Token--he is the "token" black kid on the show to represent "diversity". What in the hell does he have to do with me? Well it seems that I am the "token woman" in my shipyard. Nothing gets my panties in a wad faster than someone implying that I got to where I am simply because I'm a woman.

Why am I on this rant today? Because I went for another big job promotion, and made the steep cut into the final round of interviews. I didn't publicize with everyone that I was going for this job because I put enough pressure on myself--I don't need everyone else watching me succeed or fail (and later gossiping about it.) Yet, when I came back from a 10-day vacation, everyone was yapping about me "getting the job." Whaaaa? Where did they get this information? I pressed one of them--I used my womanly manupulative powers of shipyard seduction to get out of him exactly why he knows for a fact that I got this job. He f-ing showed me a bunch of corporate charts showing how far behind the curve our yard is compared to the rest of the corporation and the defense industry with diversity. Puh-leeeze...

Have I heard whether I got the job yet or not?--no (yes, it's been a while.) Perhaps all the VPs are still sitting in their tee-pees smoking the medicine pipe and pondering whether or not it's a good idea to comply with a stupid corporate directive anymore...since our shipyard is going to be spun off from Northrop Grumman in the near future anyway...

No comments: