Monday, June 8, 2009

Our Link to the Maersk Alabama

As some of you know, I got my undergrad from Texas A&M at Galveston along with a Third Assistant Engineer's License to operate unlimited horsepower steam and motor driven merchant ships. During my time in school there, I met all kinds of people who I have kept in touch with. I recently received an e-mail chain from my sister, whose husband I also went to school with and who is the Captain of his own giant pirate ship somewhere (according to his 3 little nephews.) It contained some good details and lessons learned by the crew of the Maersk Alabama intended for fellow mariners. The e-mail originated from the First Assistant Engineer of the ship, and was sent to the First A/E of the Maersk Arkansas--who used to be his room-mate, and who I happened to go to school with at A&M! (and somehow I bet he knows someone who has a cousin who has a dog that was in a movie with Kevin Bacon...)

Well, this post isn't so much about the Maersk Alabama as it is about me being happy to find someone who I never thought I'd be able to track down. We all scattered around the globe on ships, oil rigs, etc. after school, so it's been hard getting back in touch. Crackbook has been great. (I love my computer because all my friends are in it!) And now I have this blog for everyone to refer to for my goings on, etc. (and for all you creepy people who like to stalk other families.)

No comments: