Sunday, January 25, 2009

Deconstructing the Pagan Ritual Tree

OK, OK--after much ribbing, harassment, and neighborhood threats, I started taking down my Christmas decorations. Starting with my "pagan ritual tree", as my boss calls it.

First to come off were my sacred Wallace-Silversmith candy-cane ornaments, which me, my sister, and all my cousins on my father's side of the family collect yearly. The tradition began when my Great-Granny started giving them to us all as yearly Christmas presents. After she died, my grandparents carried on her tradition. These ornaments are treasured by my family--they are collectibles, but foremost, they remind us of our Great-Granny and the big family gatherings we used to have. I have not seen those cousins in years, since I left the Great Republic of Texas. We still send each other funny e-mails and Christmas cards, but I still miss seeing them all.

We gently removed the second set of important ornaments, hand-made by Nee-Nee (Bryan's grandmother). They are beautiful bead and sequin creations, and we cherish them. She and Bryan's deceased Grandaddy began the tradition years ago--together they made very ornate decorations than now hang on Nana & Pops' trees. She gives us new ones every year, and we hope to inherit the rest from Nana & Pops one day as well. Nee-Nee also hand-made two sets of sequin & felt stockings for the entire Wrenn family. One set hangs on Nana & Pops' fireplaces, while the other set hangs at the respective families' homes. These are the stockings in our family Christmas picture.



Well, I guess I should stop writing now and get back to work. Not that I'm in a rush to get this stuff put away--the house is so depressing without it.

No comments: