Tuesday, January 6, 2009

SAHM

So me, forever having blonde moments, could not figure out what SAHM stood for. Several of my friends are SAHMs and I am no stranger to acronyms, since I work for the U.S. Navy. After thinking about this and reading several related blogs, I finally figured out that it stands for "Stay At Home Mom". OMG--DUH!

I have some real respect for SAHMs--I can barely keep up with my kids first for a few hours of the day, let alone the weekends. My husband and I both have full-time jobs, so our kids go to daycare. The oldest is in first grade, but catches & returns on his school bus to daycare because we commute 40 minutes to work. I sometimes have "mommy guilt"--guilt about not being able to spend all day with my little ones, but I think they learn a lot about relationships and social skills at daycare. However, since reluctantly returning to work after the holiday break, I have done a lot of thinking about becoming a SAHM. (Don't worry, Bryan--the Ferarri is too appealing for me to quit my job this instant!) But because my two older boys are in school (if preschool counts), would that really make me a true SAHM? Would that be considered cheating? Maybe I should just have a part-time job (think: Starbucks), then I could take the boys to Water Country & Busch Gardens, just like all their friends.

I think I'm just jealous of all you moms out there who have the luxury of scooping your kids up and doing anything without worrying about taking time off work. Yes, I know there's an awful lot of work involved, but I'm sure it's worth it!

2 comments:

Mother of Mayhem said...

I'm so proud of you for actually posting on this! Keep it up ~ it's the only way I know what's going on with you! Sorry I missed you while you were in town ~ we have all been sick ~ a post to come about it!

The Wrenns said...

Thanks--my streak of writing will abruptly end when my semester starts on the 19th. Sorry to hear you all were sick over the holidays!