Friday, January 2, 2009

Starbucks

I am a Starbucks junkie. Yes, I know it's an expensive habit--especially since I drink the ritzy $4 espresso drinks, but I am addicted and there's not a darn thing anyone can do about it. Friends, family and co-workers have all expressed their concerns, but they have given up on me--they even encourage my addiction by giving me gift cards, knowing what I'm like without my daily fill of Starbucks caffeine.

And that brings me to what happened this morning at my beloved Starbucks. Bryan and I had just dropped the kids off at daycare to enjoy our last day off from work for the holidays, and we headed to the nearest Starbucks for morning coffee. Knowing I had recently received gift cards for Christmas, Bryan asked if I was buying. Which I promptly said NO--I closely guard my free Starbucks money because I get flak for spending so much there. Now, looking back I can see why his feelings were hurt that I couldn't offer $2 of my money to pay for his drip coffee. What you don't know is the rounds and rounds of talks and arguments we've had in the past over my Starbucks spending habits. As far as I'm concerned, my coffee gift cards are my sole property for spending on myself and no one else, especially on someone who gives me such a hard time with every penny I spend there. To make the story short, I paid for his coffee and now I'm hearing for the rest of the day how petty and selfish I am for not wanting to buy $2 coffee for my husband. Again, Starbucks is my cocaine and I guard it with my life--all the way down to $2. And I'm sure by the end of the day we will be laughing about this and making fun of the situation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting situation, Jennifer, and I can understand where you're coming from. However, little things like this can drive a serious wedge between two people, and I wouldn't want to see that happen to you and Bryan. Take it from someone who argued with his (now) ex-wife about something as trivial as using blue ink in the checkbook. I hope you do indeed end up laughing about this !!!


Allen

The Wrenns said...

You, of anyone, know that Bryan and I have made it through some very serious issues--so we know how to handle the little daily irritations, and we've already started joking about it!
--Jen