Saturday, May 30, 2009

Graduation Re-cap #1--the Beginning of the Week

OK, since everyone is bugging me about how it went--I'll just cover everything in a few blog posts so I don't have to keep repeating myself and to make sure I don't forget anything. Yeah, I know it's already been almost a month since it happened--I really do avoid my computer now!

I'll start with the last few days at work before I departed for residency week at the main campus. First off, apparently someone heard me loudly ranting about that cool promotion I was going for, so they gave it to a MAN who has the same academic credentials as me, but also has some specific experience directly applicable to the new job. Was I disappointed?--yes. But I feel good knowing the guy who got it is well deserving of it. So, that was one less thing to worry about heading into my week of residency at George Washington University.

My mom, sister, and 1.5-year-old nephew arrived Saturday, and Bryan & I went to DC on Sunday. After wandering aimlessly around the White House, we went ahead and checked into my hotel. The school reserved the rooms for us, and since I was cheap and one of my female team-mates was also cheap, we decided to split the cost and room together. So, of course, we requested 2 beds. Well, the guy working the front desk was foreign and didn't speak great English (which I think he used to his advantage to be lazy--no offense foreign people, but this guy was not even trying to be helpful) and he just took whatever card Bryan put in front of him, swiped it, gave us nothing but a key and pointed at the elevator. Little did we know what trouble lie ahead. The room was the size of my boss's office--which is slightly bigger than my cubicle. In it were two twin beds. The bathroom was Japanese-size (for those of you who have had the pleasure of staying in a Japanese hotel, you know I'm talking about a tiny shower, a tiny sink, a toilet, and barely room to stand.) All I could think of was that two women would be sharing this tiny room & tiny bathroom for a week.

No comments: