Saturday, May 2, 2009

Ultimate Butt-Kissing


I graduate in 2 weeks from grad school. It's been an extremely tough, drawn-out experience. Not only for me, but for my husband, family, co-workers, and my boss. My boss and my husband were the two most supportive people during these painful last few semesters (no kidding!) When I went to order my graduation announcements, the package came with a single personalized certificate of appreciation for me to give to whoever I needed to truly thank for supporting me. My first thought was my husband, but he would have thought the thing was cheesy--so I put my boss's name on the order form. Not thinking about the teasing and ribbing I'd get from my employees and co-workers. And husband. (who I think is actually jealous that I didn't award it to him instead!)

Here is what it says:
"Be it known that [Jennifer's Boss], during the course of my study, through personal sacrifice, selflessness, and without material reward, bestowed the support and understanding without which my graduation would not have been possible. This certificate is hereby conferred to honor and recognize the confidence, devotion, guidance and assistance freely given in helping me obtain this important milestone in my life. The George Washington University. Presented by Jennifer Wrenn."

So, any of you out there who want to acheive the highly-controversial, highly-coveted level of Ultimate Butt-Kissing, just go make one of these certificates up and present it to your boss while all of your co-workers look on. I have not actually presented it to my boss yet--he's been on business travel and I won't see him until after I return from DC. But I have been given a sneak-peek into what it will be like with my co-workers watching, because my dear husband is already poking me about it.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Don't sweat it... it's nice to say thank you even if it's sometimes painful.

I say, "pucker up, sweetie!"